Traveling to South Africa’s second largest capital, a city of about 4 million, and situated on the Eastern Coast of South Africa in Kwazulu-Natal one does require some sort of travel guide to find your way through the city and explore everything it has to offer. Simply read this Durban Travel Guide and you are guaranteed to have a good time.
How do you get to Durban?
There are many ways of accessing Durban. If you are a tourist you would fly in to Durban International Airport and hire a rental car to the city center which is only 15 km south from the airport. Some international flights will enter Durban International Airport either via Cape Town or Johannesburg International Airport.
Traveling in and around Durban
The best way to get around and explore Durban is by hiring a car. There are plenty of car rental companies available like Tempest Car Hire and CABS Car Hire. You could also consult the place you’re staying at for more options.
What to see in Durban
The Golden Mile is well known for its long line of beaches near the down-town city that stretch along the warm, Indian Ocean. These beaches are very popular for surfing and its white sandy beaches. There are also play pools and playgrounds for children along the waterfront as well as a wide variety of restaurants and hotels that overlook the beautiful ocean and beaches.
Florida Road is the road in Durban where everything that is worthwhile mentioning happens.You name it from restaurants, cafes, and bars to boutique shopping and a very interesting book shop that provides very interesting books on the Zulu, historical culture and origin of Durban, Kwazulu-Natal.
What to do in Durban
- Swim, surf or canoe all year round or watch the local and professional surfers do their thing with the waves.
- Snorkel and scuba diving in the secluded, surrounding beaches of Durban.
- Visit Crocodile Creek to develop your education on these feared predators.
- For all your golf fans, Durban boasts with one of the world’s best golf courses: The 18 Hole Zimbali Golf Estate.
Festivals in Durban
- The Durban July , Africa’s premier horse racing is an annual event held in the city every year.
- The MTN Durban Fashion Week is a not-to-be-missed event for fashion lovers.
Need I say anything more! Durban has the largest shopping mall in the southern hemisphere,The Gateway Mall. Other shopping centers and facilities include:
- Victoria Street Market – sells mostly traditional, oriental souvenirs.
- Essenwood Craft Market – Here you’ll experience a true taste of South Africa like biltong, and locally made crafts. Tip of advice: the people like to bargain and negotiate.
- Because Durban has one of the largest Indian populations a curry dish is a must when you’re in the city. A good place to experience quality Indian food is at the Vintage Restaurant in Windermere Road.
- For Italian food visit Roma Revolving restaurant at the top of the John Ross House on the Esplenade.
Being one of the major tourist destinations and biggest cities of South Africa, Durban offers a wide variety of accommodation both in the city and surrounding beach and holiday towns. Accommodation options range from budget and family holiday accommodation to luxurious holiday accommodation. There are many guest houses, bed and breakfasts, holiday homes and apartments, mid-range and several luxury hotels to choose from, to make your family holiday wish come true.
One of Durban’s most beautiful surrounding holiday destinations is Umhlanga Rocks. Here you’ll find the luxurious, self-catering apartment, No. Casa Playa situated on Umhlanga’s Rocks’ main beach. For more information and bookings visit Casa Playa now!